Today's Bible Reading

Posted by Erin Wilson On Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2 comments
So after I wrote the post last this is what I read today. It's from first Corinthians chapter 13. This is a well know chapter. The chapter commonly referred to as the "love chapter." The part many of us know well and can probably quote goes,

"4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

This is where we normally stop, but here's what comes next

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

We usually hear the first part of vs. 8 "Love never fails" and the last verse in the chapter vs. 13. But the verses in between struck me today in light of what I posted yesterday. Paul gives this amazing description of what true love is, love that we should strive to demonstrate to all people, but ultimately God is the only one who can love this perfectly. This passage on love is a description of God's character. After this description of love Paul says, love never fails and then he goes on to give us a glimpse of heaven. He tells us that right now we know only in part but when perfection comes (being in the presence of Jesus in heaven) the imperfect disappears. Right now "we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

I just love how this passage is within this great description of what love is. What an encouragement to me today to read, "Love never fails" followed by this glimpse of eternity where all things will be made clear.

One thing I am certain that walking through this journey of suffering has taught me is to love and appreciate the mystery that God is. It is a characteristic of His that I find beautiful.

Here is the chorus to an Aaron Ivey song called "Beautiful Mystery" that has meant so much to me in the past year.

The Sovereign Lord, will be my strength
Beautiful mystery
Through the suffering and loss, your mercy remains
I will trust in thee


2 comments to Today's Bible Reading

  1. says:

    Ginger Owens 'Beautiful Mystery' Says it all!! Though God's love is a mystery...It's a Beautiful Mystery!!!

  1. says:

    Ginger Owens Just wanted to stop in an say hello! Hope all is well in the Wilson world!

Post a Comment