8lbs 2oz!

Posted by Erin Wilson On Monday, July 27, 2009 0 comments
Josiah was weighed yesterday and he has gained a whole pound since birth! That was great news to hear! Even greater news was that I found out that another nurse had weighed him about 3 weeks ago and he was less that birth weight so she didn't bother to right it down. That means he has gained that pound in 3 weeks! I was really excited to hear that. That's what the MD's keep telling us he needs to do to get better... grow.

I've been a little discouraged this week because I was told that it was going to be a long while before Josiah might be able to go back to breast milk... if ever. In one sense I would love to be done pumping because it's no fun. But in another I know how good breast milk would be for him and I want so much for him to have it. I was telling one of Josiah's nurses about this the other night and she told me about how at a hospital she used to work at made human skim milk. They would take the breast milk and put it in a centrifuge to spin the fat to the top, then separate it. The whole reason Josiah can't have breast milk right now is because of the fat content. The fat makes his lymph system drain more fluid into the space around his lungs, which in turn makes it more difficult for him to breathe. So we are in the process of researching if turning my milk into skim milk might be a possibility. I'll keep you posted!

0 comments to 8lbs 2oz!

Post a Comment