Tracheostomy?

Posted by Erin Wilson On Sunday, October 4, 2009 2 comments
We had another discussion with the MD's yesterday which included a real conversation about the potential of Josiah needing a tracheostomy. That thought has been looming in the backs of our minds for a while now but yesterday was the first we've actually discussed it with the doctors. It appears that is the direction we are heading with this latest failed attempt at extubation. A tracheostomy is where they surgical insert a tube through Josiah's neck and into his trachea (wind pipe). This would remove the need for the tube in his mouth and throat. Basically it is a way for us to be able to bring Josiah home on the ventilator. There is a ton that goes into all this and at this point I don't have all my questions answered. There is good and bad that go with a tracheostomy. So we are in the process of finding out information and discerning our feelings through all this. I can't at this point even figure out my feelings for myself. At one point I am hopeful at the possibility of bringing Josiah home and then a moment later I am overwhelmed by the possibility of never hearing my sweet baby cry.

There will definitely be more to come in the next few days on this one. In the meantime please continue to pray for Josiah and for a miraculous healing of his lungs.

2 comments to Tracheostomy?

  1. says:

    Sue-Anne Erin I am so sorry. I know this must be very difficult as a mom but yet I have no clue of how it feels as a mom either. I know a couple whos baby had to have a tracheostomy and know all the goods & bads they experienced with it. I know we never like to hear our babies cry but at the same time you must feel robbed knowing you may never get to, but also at the same time I know you are just so grateful that Josiah is fighting as hard as he is!I pray that God gives you all peace and comfort in whatever may be the final decision/outcome.

  1. says:

    The Adventures of DJ and Katelyn I just wanted to stop by and send out some {{{HUGS}}} to you and your family. You all are in our prayers.
    TAKE CARE!!
    Tiffany Carlberg

Post a Comment