Tracheostomy, G-Tube and some other things

Posted by Erin Wilson On Thursday, October 29, 2009 3 comments
So tomorrow is the big day. Josiah will be having his trach put in and a G-tube placed. On top of those two things Josiah is going to have a couple other things as well. We are sending him in for a complete tune-up. He is going to have a stomach surgery called a Nissen as well. This is where they wrap part of the top of his stomach around itself (I think) and tighten up the area where the esophagus meets the stomach. This will help Josiah not to have as bad of reflux as he has. The hope is he will be able to keep his feeds down better and continue to grow. A good majority of heart babies have major reflux issues for some reason. We are being a little bit proactive with this one. There is the possibility that he may not need it but it is more likely that he will and we would have to bring him back later to have it done. So we are opting to do it now and prevent a future trip to the OR. This surgery can be done laproscopically so it wont be as invasive. They have to fill his abdomen with air to do this so the the surgeon can see what he is working on. Sometimes this air can cause pressure on the heart and so there is an increased risk with Josiah. If Josiah's heart shows sign of distress then they will pull the air out and do the surgery the old-fashioned way by cutting into his belly. We are obviously praying that there are no complications like this.

This has been a very emotional ordeal for me. I know that doing the trach is the best thing for Josiah right now but it's still emotional. It changes life in a big way. We had made plans to go home this weekend for Halloween and run in a race in Greenville (that was when we thought surgery was going to be on Tuesday). I really would like to go home but we'll just have to wait and see how things go tomorrow. I'm sure this is just one of the many ways our plans will never go like we hope for a long time and one of the many adjustments we have to make to our lifestyle.

-A Heart that Holds On

3 comments to Tracheostomy, G-Tube and some other things

  1. says:

    Wodzisz Family You just keep learning a new normal way of life with a heart baby. My family is learning that as well. It is quite an adjustment, but it seems like everyone is starting to adjust a little better every day.

    I will keep Josiah and your family in my prayers tomorrow.

  1. says:

    Rene Saying many prayer for your Sweet Josiah. I've walked the very road you are on right now. It's not easy, it's scary and it feels very lonely in the beginning. But if I had it to do over, I would have done it again. I wish more than anything that I could be in SC to comfort you in person and help you with a a baby that is going through what my sweet boy faced 3 years ago. Please email me any time. Stacey knows how to get in touch with me as well.

    Heart hugs!
    Rene Dereksen

Post a Comment